Though Anxiety is one of the biggest challenges today; but with my direct experience and through my various clients as a Counselor; I can say for sure that it is very much possible to overcome Anxiety without any medication.
I invite you to go through the blog.
The Common Man’s Understanding about Anxiety
Anxiety is a feeling of nervousness or worry or fear or any other type of uneasiness that we experience when we have to take a decision.
Because we have to take the decision in present and its correctness will only be validated in the future. Since we want to get the best result from that decision; the anxiety surrounds us. While taking a decision in present, we expect a sort of guarantee that it is the best decision and will surely yield the best desired result.
But who will guarantee this? How can we get the guarantee?
Since there is no practical possibility of getting a guarantee of success by any decision in present; we experience a fear or uneasiness known as Anxiety.
What is the meaning of “Taking Decision”
“Taking Decision” means to make choices. To choose ONLY ONE option at a time, out of so many available options. As soon as we choose one options, it automatically closes the doors of all other options.
Common situations when we face Anxiety
For better understanding, let us see a few examples of situations where we normally encounter Anxiety.
- While choosing the stream or subjects for further education: All students face anxiety when they have to choose subjects for further studies. Whether should I go with Science or commerce or humanities? Which will give me a better job? Which stream has the maximum opportunities available?
- While choosing the career. Which career will give me more money, more job surety & more opportunities?
- After graduation, whether should I go for higher studies or go for a job?
- While getting a job.
- While choosing the life partner.
- While purchasing a car.
- Any other situation when we have to take a decision means to make a choice.
Anxiety is more when options are more
Over the years, there have a phenomenal increase in the options available in almost all dimensions of life. Whether they are cars, or clothes or shoes or any other commodity for that matter, the variety has increased manifold. Many new career options have come up in the recent past and many more are coming.
One perspective is that it is good to have more and more options.
But, on the other hand more the options, more difficult it becomes to make a choice. This results into Anxiety.
You can analyze from your experience that over the years our level of Anxiety has increased. Our level of anxiety is more than that of our parents as they had comparatively less options to choose from. Similarly, the next generation is having more Anxiety than us.
Learning from Edison’s life
Before proceeding further with the topic, I would like to share an story from Thomas A. Edison’s life who had probably done the maximum inventions including the famous Light Bulb.
While inventing the the Light Bulb, Edison was working with his team of scientists who were doing experiments & research work. Every day they used to try something new but unfortunately they continuously failed.
Surprisingly, every day Edison used to start a new experiment with same energy, same hope and same zeal. One day, after multiple incidences of failure, one of his juniors asked that how is it possible that every day you start with a same hope & energy, in-spite of so many failures.
I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work.
Do you think, a positive person like Edison can experience Anxiety at all in his life?
It’s our perspective that makes us anxious, that make us fearful.
Factors on which the outcome or the result depends
Result depends on two factors:
- The controlled Factors: Those factors which are very much in our control. We can do something about them. We can take some actions to satisfy those factors.
- The Uncontrolled Factors: Those factors which are absolutely not in our control. Nothing can be done about them.
Let us understand by an example
Suppose you want sunlight in your room.
- The Controlled Factors are to remove the curtains and open all the doors & windows of the room.
Is there a guarantee that if you remove the curtains and open the windows; the sunlight will come in your room.
What if, it is a cloudy day? What if it is night time? What if it is raining?
In these circumstances, the sunlight will not enter into your room even you do your best to remove the curtains and open the windows.
These factors are known as UNCONTROLLED FACTORS.
Even though there are many uncontrolled factors; but at least this much is sure or GUARANTEED that if you do not remove the curtains and open the doors & windows, the sunlight will not come.
To increase the probability of getting the best result, you have to do your best towards the CONTROLLED FACTORS.
Steps to overcome Anxiety
Now with this background understanding, it is very easy to list down the steps to overcome anxiety.
- Accept to your deepest core that there are no guarantees in life. There is no possibility to know in present whether the decision we are taking today will lead to the desired result or not.
- Work on all the controlled factors: List down all the controlled factors; make a plan and implement all the necessary actions.
- List down and be aware of the uncontrolled factors: Identify the uncontrolled factors or risks.
- Identify your own passion, abilities and personality type before making any choice: Before going for choosing the right career, education stream or life partner first know about yourself; your personality type; your interests etc.
- Keep reviewing: Review the progress of the controlled actions and modify the plan or identify new actions; if necessary.
- Do not procrastinate: Many times, I have seen as a counselor, that people postpone their actions because they want to make the best choice or take the best decision.
- Avoid Indecisiveness: There is nothing called INDECISIVENESS in life. It only means that you are deciding NOT TO TAKE DECISION NOW. Therefore, you have to bear the repercussion of this decision.
- Keep moving: Even if you move in the wrong direction; it is much better than not moving because soon you would know that this direction is wrong and you have eliminated one wrong direction; like Edison.
I am sure, you would be able to overcome your Anxiety.
Two Major Areas of Anxiety
Choosing the right Career & Choosing the Right Life Partner are two major reasons of Anxiety. We help you to choose them in the most scientific manner.
1. Career Assessment & Counseling
We offer career assessment & counseling for students & working professionals. The career assessment is based on your Personality Type, Interests, Values, Learning Style, Skills & Abilities.
Please see my blog on How To Choose The Right Career
Click for more details. Career Assessment & Counseling
2. Choose the right life partner through Psychometric Assessment
We help you to choose the right life partner through psychometric assessment to match behavior compatibility & premarital counseling.
3. Training on Decision Taking & How to overcome Anxiety
Please refer my blog Taking The Right Decision
Please visit our website for more details on Counseling
5. Other Training Programs & Certificate Courses
Please visit our website for more details on Training & Certificate Courses
6. Videos on YouTube
Please subscribe to our YouTube Channel for many videos on Success, Health, Happiness & Cordial Relations.
The one on Anxiety is
Dr. Pankaj Gupta
CEO, Conquer The Success
+91 99537 99435
+91 97738 52831