“Success” & “Happy” are two most searched words on internet. That makes sense because we all, directly or indirectly, are in search of Success & Happiness in life.
Our life is the best teacher, provided we have the art of reading the book of life i.e. to analyse & learn from the experiences of our life.
Before we try to answer the question “Which is More Important out of Success & Happiness” let us try to understand from our life experiences, what Success & Happiness are.
What is SUCCESS?
Some Definitions from the net
Many people have defined Success in many different ways. A few of the definitions which I could gather from the net are:
- Accomplishment of an aim or a purpose is Success.
- Achievement of action within a specific period of time or within specific parameters is Success.
- Completing an objective is Success.
- When your signature transforms into an autograph is Success..
- A lifetime of personal fulfillment is Success.
- Success is being able to go to bed each night with your soul at peace.
- Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out.
- Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom.
Understanding Success from our life experiences
If we analyze our life, we would observe that Success is not always the same. From cradle to graveyard, as our life progresses, our needs change and so does the definition of Success for us.
- At the age of 4, not to urinate in pants is Success.
- At the age of 8, to know way back home is Success.
- At the age of 15 year, to get good marks in 10th exams and choose the right stream for further studies is Success.
- At the age of 17, to get good marks in 12th Board exams is Success.
- At the age of 18, to get a Driving License is Success.
- At the age of 21, to graduate from University is Success.
- At the age of 23, to get an earning is Success.
- At the age of 30, to be a family man is Success.
- At the age of 35, to make money is Success.
- At the age of 45, to maintain appearance of a young man/ lady is Success
- At the age of 50, to provide good education to your children is Success
- At the age of 60, to live without disease is Success
- At the age of 70, not to be burden on anyone is Success.
- At the age of 75, not to urinate in pants is Success.
Defining Success from our life experiences
So we can define SUCCESS as:
“Fulfillment of our Needs” is Success.
What are our Needs?
Let us do a small Activity.
Step 1: Identify one single need that is most important for you at this point of time. A need around which your whole thought process, your present life is hovering around.
Write it down on a piece of paper.
You might have identified your present need as getting money, buying a new house or a new car, getting a good job, getting a promotion, finding a good life partner, getting married, scoring good marks in exams, selection in competitive exams, making secure future for your child, giving your child the best education, going on a world tour, polish your skills or any other.
Step 2: Now, once you have noted down the present need, ask yourself a question “What will I achieve if this need is fulfilled?”
And right the answer on a piece of paper.
Step 3: Keep repeating Step 2 till you keep getting the answer.
Once you reach to a stage when you could not find any answer, stop.
Suppose your present need is to get a job.
Now ask the question, “What will I achieve if this need is fulfilled?”
May be your answer is that you will get money.
Repeat the question –> May be money will give you a new car –> Car will give you status in society –> Status in the society will give you HAPPINESS.
Now if you continue asking the question, “What will I achieve if I get Happiness?”
You will not be able to find any answer to it.
When I conduct this activity during my Training Workshops, invariably everyone ends on HAPPINESS.
What is Happiness?
Now after completing the above activity, it is easy to define Happiness.
We can say that:
“Happiness is our Ultimate Need”.
Whatever we may do, we do only for Happiness.
From a superficial level, it might appear as if there are different and many needs, but in the core we are only in search of Happiness.
Above we have defined Success as:
Fulfillment of our Needs is Success.
And we have understood that Happiness is our ultimate need.
So, we can redefine Success as
“Continual Increase in Happiness” is Success.
Back to the first Question: Which is more Important out of Success & Happiness
Happiness is our ultimate need and Success is to ensure that Happiness grows every day.
Success & Happiness both are equally important.
They are like two wings of the bird called life. If both the wings are healthy then it knows no boundaries and flies to the infinite heights of Success & Happiness. However, if any of the wings gets damaged, the bird would die.
If my today is Happier than yesterday, and I live today in such a manner that my tomorrow will be happier than today; it means I am SUCCESSFUL.
The Next Blog
It is now important to understand various needs which ultimately give me Happiness.
Since this blog has already become quite long, I will take up this topic in detail, in my next blog.
Conquer The Success Training
“Conquer The Success” is aimed to help you become Successful together with Happiness, Health & Cordial Relations. Please visit the web-page Conquer The Success Training for more details about the concept.
Conquer The Success Training has 6 modules. Each module is of 1 day.
- Module 1: How to take important decisions & make choices that lead us to Success.
- Module 2: How to implement the decision. Because, planning followed by implementation leads to Success, else Depression.
- Module 3: Understanding Success & move in the right direction.
- Module 4: How to keep your self Healthy.
- Module 5: How to keep cordial relations with family, friends & at workplace.
- Module 6: How to be happy, joyful & celebration in life.
You may visit our website Conquer The Success for more details regarding Training, Counseling & Behavior Therapies.
Should you have any queries, please join our Discussion Forum and post your queries there. We shall take them up.
Wish you a life full of Success & Happiness.
With best regards,
Dr. Pankaj Gupta
CEO, Conquer The Success